Thursday, November 6, 2014

Separation From Loved Ones

Being separated from loved ones while inpatient for mental health issues is weird. I am suddenly among patients with similar or relatable issues but with different life circumstances which, in a way, is comforting since it underscores the genetic or at least the biological component for these issues. And if I see other people with depression getting "better" it gives me a bit of confidence that I can, too.

A couple people today talked about their desire to fight their depression and to conquer it. I wonder if these war-like metaphors apply to mental illnesses. Seems to me that first you accept the reality of having depression then educate then practice coping skills the rest of your life. Reduction of symptoms may come with meds but conquering depression is like conquering freckles.
Getting very sleepy so let me just say damn my literalist mind! Since soap was not included in "Each client is responsible for providing personal hygiene products such as shampoo, toothpaste and deodorant" as stated in the copious reading materials and forms I have read through to become inpatient, I thought soap would be provided by the facility. I was wrong so I guess I will just be using shampoo during my showers for a few days. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bonus points awarded for constructive comments.