Friday, November 7, 2014

Vulnerablity

Today I learned that the emotion of love can make a person feel invulnerable. I thought that was odd since love has allowed me to feel and be vulnerable -- but that probably requires me to feel trust, too. I know vulnerable is not necessarily the opposite of invulnerable but I just considered them opposites for the sake of discussion.

I also met a couple counselors/therapists while inpatient who love Brene Brown since I mentioned how in at least one of her Ted Talks she discussed how vulnerability is a strength and the counselors' faces lit up.

Different regions of the US are known for preferring some emotions, or no emotions, over others. But if vulnerability is a strength as I suspect it is, maybe the west coasters, specifically the hippie sorts there, are closer to having a healthy/appropriate approach of embracing emotions as they are and not judging anyone for their emotions. I always felt hippies got some things right but was not really sure what -- perhaps their acceptance of all emotions and the related vulnerability somehow resonated with me then and now I know there is wisdom in that. Pardon my stereotyping but I thought it would get my point across easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bonus points awarded for constructive comments.